June 26, 2013

♡ revolution grrrl style now!! ♡

"BECAUSE we girls want to create mediums that speak to US. We are tired of boy band after boy band, boy zine after boy zine, boy punk after boy punk after boy… BECAUSE we need to talk to each other. Communication/inclusion is the key. We will never know if we don’t break the code of silence… BECAUSE in every form of media we see us/myself slapped, decapitated, laughed at, objectified, raped, trivialized, pushed, ignored, stereotyped, kicked, scorned, molested, silenced, invalidated, knifed, shot, choked and killed. BECAUSE a safe space needs to be created for girls where we can open our eyes and reach out to each other without being threatened by this sexist society and our day to day bullshit" ~ Bikini Kill zine, riot grrrl manifesto

Hey there, people of the interwebz! First of all, a shoutout to Megan, my partner in crime and my favourite riot grrrl and one of the biggest babes I know. Now, you probably realize I'm really into feminism, and I find the riot grrrl culture really rad; the music and the zines and smashin' the patriarchy and generally being really badass n' cool. I realize that, like in all communities, there are some flaws, such lack of trans* representation and women of colour, however the culture itself is pretty cool and addresses issues like rape, abuse, double standards against men and sexuality via spoken word, music and art and also focuses on reclaiming our bodies and taking back slurs and rejecting stereotypes. Being the woman you want to be and doing whatever you want.



I also really like the aesthetic, not only of riot grrrl bands but also just punk and grunge bands of the 90s in general, like the DIY stuff and thrifted things and kinderwhore, and my role models for this are bands like Bikini Kill and L7 and Babes In Toyland. I put together last night's outfit with them in mind, kinda~


The dress is thrifted, I'm not sure about the choker but I think it may have been from some alternative store, the earrings (you can't really see but they're tiny sunflowers) are from Republic and I found the t-shirt in a box of old things my family don't really wear and wrote on it, I think it looks pretty cool with the dress but here is a full picture:





Also when I went out I wore a denim jacket (thrifted) with a Pearl Jam badge, a little bow on the collar and "Alien She" (Bikini Kill!!) written on it and this really cute holographic bag which looks a lot more sparkly in real life and is one of my favourite accessories. I also wore my docs and they looked good but damn, it's outfits like this that really make me wish I had jelly shoes! Below is a close-up photo of the detail on my jacket, which I really want to add more things to.


Also, here are some of my (currently) favourite songs that fit with the theme~






So, what are your thoughts on the culture? And who are your favourite riot grrrl bands?

Paulina x

9 comments:

  1. I love your wall and how you always take pictures against it! They're so pretty and I like your dress! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great great post. Love Sonic Youth and your dress is amazing

    -Aida
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aida! Ahh yes I love them so much, they're definitely one of my favourite bands <3 xx

      Delete
  3. btw I nominated you for a blog award! Details on my blog: http://sunshinesuperwoman.blogspot.co.uk


    -Aida

    ReplyDelete
  4. your style is spot on, love your shirt !

    Check me out!
    calurvillade.blogspot.com
    Paolina

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have great taste in music, I especially like Slutever. And your outfit fits the theme perfectly. Thrifted attire is always so very interesting

    http://wastelandsofwisdom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice blog!
    I'm feminist too.
    I'm a militant . . . :)))
    I'm always glad when I see young feminist girls!!!!
    be strong!;)

    I'm your new follower . . .

    giallodinylon.blogspot.it

    LiLLy-GialloDiNylon

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS OUTFIT is gorgeous and the little excuse me poster is a forever kind of truth.
    bella
    http://sincerelyisabella.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete